Tuesday 19 August 2014

Storm Siren

****
4 Stars/5


Thanks to Netgalley and Thomas Nelson for giving me this book to review.

In the war ravaged kingdom of Faelen, 17 year old slave girl Nym is born with elemental powers which she should not have as only males have this power and are killed at birth. Standing in the slave auction for her 15th sell she accidentally lets loose her powers but is bought by Adora, a powerful court adviser, to be trained as a weapon for Faelen. Nym is throw into a world of politics and parties at night and during the day spends her time training her powers with fellow student Colin and handsome trainer Eogen. However, does Nym have it in her to be the weapon that people want her to be?

Storm Siren is a really good YA fantasy novel which has secrets, action, betrayals and romance. It was unpredictable and addictive as I had to find out what was going to happen next.

Nym is a complex character as she is full of guilt and self-loathing but also defiant and stubborn. I like Eogan as he is mysterious and it was hard to guess his moods but we got to see glimpses of his true feelings. I also like Colin as he was sweet, protective and a flirt, however, his sister, Breck, I found hard to like as much as I felt I was meant to.


The ending was a bit rushed but it seemed to end rather smoothly until the last page which has a massive cliff-hanger. I would recommend Storm Siren to fans of really good YA fantasy books.

No comments:

Post a Comment