Saturday 18 July 2015

The Season of Lightning

****
4 Stars/5


Thanks to Xpresso Book Tours for giving me this book to review.
                                                 
Verity is the only daughter of a well-known retired general and plantation owner. She has lived a relatively happy life with her free Silvras companion Trilly and the annoying nobleman Lord Roth. However, trouble is stirring when a masked vigilante who is called the Hawk wants to free the Silvras, the oppressed lower class. Everything Verity thought she knew is turned upside down and she finally sees the injustices in her land but is she able to right them?

The Season of Lightning is a very enjoyable fantasy novel with good world building. It is fast paced and I couldn’t put it down and has a slow romance but I did enjoy the love/hate relationship. I can see the hints of Austin’s Emma but I couldn’t see Robin Hood in it as it was more about revolution, than stealing from the rich to give to the poor. Also I did not understand the title of this book as it did not relate to the story.

Verity grows up a lot in the book and she is a kind, loyal and fiery person who is constrained by the society she lives in and what is expected of her. I really like Roth as he is charming and intelligent, he also has strong ideals and challenges Verity. I guessed who the Hawk was from near the beginning, but he is an interesting character.


I really liked this book and I look forward to reading more books from Kate Avery Ellison. I would recommend The Season of Lightning to fans of The Winner’s Curse by Marie Rutkoski and the Secrets of Itlantis by Kate Avery Ellison. 

No comments:

Post a Comment