Tuesday 25 November 2014

Of Sea and Stone

****
4 Stars/5


Thanks to Xpresso Book Tours for giving me this book to review.

Aemi is a thrall in the Village of the Rocks, and has been for as long as she can remember. She dreams of travelling to Perilous, her mother’s home before her mother became a thrall and died. Aemi’s life changes forever when a ship emerges from the ocean, her village is burnt and she, along with some of the young men of the village, are taken to Itlantis, a world under the ocean made of glass cities. Aemi and her nemesis from the village, Nol, are made servants in a friendly household in the city of Celestrus, and are told not to tell anyone that they are from the surface or else they will be killed. Desperate to be free, Aemi plots to escape to the surface, but as she becomes friends with some people under the sea and the secrets and conspiracies of Itlantis, escaping is not as simple as she first thought it would be.

Of Sea and Stone is a very good fantasy novel and I found it hard to put down. It is fast paced, has a hint of romance, and action, it is also not as predictable as I thought it would be.

I liked Aemi as she was smart, resilient and struggles with her loyalties between her life on the surface and the people she has become friends with in Celestrus. Nol is an interesting character and I could never tell what he was thinking. I also liked the characters of Lyssia and Merclus and how they slowly became like a family to Aemi, and I hope we get to see more of Kit as I feel like he has a big part to play.


I really enjoyed this book and can’t wait to read the next one, By Sun and Saltwater. I would recommend Of Sea and Stone to fans of Stolen Songbird by Danielle L Jensen and Witch Fall by Amber Argyle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment