Thursday 18 June 2015

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

*****
5 Stars/5


Warning, this review has spoilers for this book and the entire series.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone is a brilliant book and the start of a world changing series. The Harry Potter series is a big part of my life and influenced my childhood. I probably will not be able to add anything that has not been said before. I also won’t describe the story as almost everyone must know it by now and if not where have you been hiding the past 15 years? While the writing is not bad, you can tell the Rowling has improved as the series went on.

One pet peeve I have with this book is that it is not called The Sorcerer’s Stone but The Philosopher’s Stone, that’s because philosopher’s stone has lots of lore and myth surrounding it and I am not sure why they changed it for America. One thing I discovered, and probably only British people will get this, but when reading this book did anyone else have Stephen Fry’s voice narrating it to them?

Harry is a kind and brave person and I like that even after years of abuse and neglect by the Dursley’s he has not turned out bitter and emotionally scarred. Ron is one of my favourite characters of the series as he is normal, and does not feel he is good enough. Hermione is annoying in this book as she is a know it all and just too perfect.


I love this book and the entire series and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment