Sunday 9 December 2012

The Mad Scientist's Daughter

**
2 Stars/5



Thanks to Netgalley and Angry Robot for giving me this book to review.

When Cat gets a tutor she first thinks that Finn is a ghost as he acts strange and does not eat. However, Finn is a robot, and as Cat grows up she struggles to accept that Finn is not sentient and feels nothing towards her.

The Mad Scientist’s Daughter is a romance book with a sci fi twist, however, it just is not my type of book as I prefer sci fi with a romance twist (I know it sounds the same but it isn’t). I liked the book at the start with Cat as a child, as I thought it was interesting to explore about the world she lived in but as she got older I just found myself bored and the pacing slowed as it jumped through the years.

As the plot jumped forward in time a lot I felt I did not know adult Cat a lot so could not connect with her. Also I did not understand her attraction to Finn as he did not change and I could not see a spark between them. However I would have liked to get to know Finn more in this book as see how life is like for him, but I felt we did not understand him enough.

Why I have put it 2 stars instead of 1 is that the Mad Scientist’s Daughter is not my usually type of book, and therefore might be brilliant for those who like kind of genre. I would recommend this to people who like the Time Travellers Wife film (and probably book as well but I have not read it so I can’t say).

No comments:

Post a Comment