Friday 18 December 2015

Poison Princess

***
3 Stars/5


Everyone believes that Evie is a typical popular girl but she has a secret, she keeps on seeing horrifying hallucinations and plants seem to be attracted towards her. When the flash, an apocalyptic event, hits, Evie realises that her hallucinations where actually visions of the future. Desperate for answers she gets help from wrong side of town, former classmate Jack Deveaux to get her across the country safely. With an ancient prophecy being played out, Evie is not the only person with special powers but do they mean her harm?

Poison Princess has a very interesting story idea with the tarot cards and the Arcana and has so much potential. However, I feel very conflicted about this book, as when I was reading it, I did not want to put it down, but once I had I didn’t feel the need to carry on reading it. The first part was very boring when they were at school but it did pick up after the flash, although I would have liked to see more of the aftermath of the flash and the first few days of it rather than skipping it.

I was really not a fan of the two main characters, which was the major reason for me not enjoying this book as much as I could of. I don’t like Evie as at the start she is the type of popular girl who thinks she is everyone friends but only in a shallow way and she looks down her nose at everyone who was not like her. She was not much better after the flash as she was naïve, really not fit to survive in this new world and fights against her powers which could save her life.

Jack was such a jerk as he was misogynistic, possessive (and not in a good way) and has a massive chip on his shoulder. I really liked Matthew and I felt very protective of him. I thought Evie’s mother was portrayed as being a bit of a baddie for sending her off to the CLC but I felt that she was trying to help her daughter as best she could.


I am not sure if I want to read the next book or not but I would recommend Poison Princess to fans of dystopian books with a hint of the paranormal.

No comments:

Post a Comment