Thursday 18 December 2014

Sabriel

***
3 Stars/5


Spending almost all her life in a boarding school in Ancelstierre, Sabriel has little experience of the Old Kingdom and its magic. After her father the Abhorsen, a person who binds the dead and makes sure they stay dead, goes missing she must enter the Old Kingdom, with her limited knowledge, she finds help in Mogget, a mysterious magic spirit cat, and Touchstone, a young charter mage who has been trapped as a figurehead for decades. With threats mounting on all sides, will Sabriel be able to save her father, who is trapped in death, and stop the evil Kerrigor.

Sabriel is an enjoyable epic fantasy adventure with unique magic and an intriguing concept but an underdeveloped romance. While I never got bored I wish it was faster paced as it was a bit slow, and it was not as good as I remembered when I first read it when I was younger.

Sabriel is a likable, independent and mature teen who is not perfect, as she makes mistakes, but she learns from them. While I liked Touchstone I did not feel like we got to know him that well, but he was nice and brave. However, my favourite character is Mogget as he was funny and sarcastic.


Sabriel is a good and unique fantasy story and I would recommend to fans of the Healer series by Maria V Snyder and The Seven Kingdoms by Harry G Sherwin.

No comments:

Post a Comment